Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Republican-Tea Party Mess

Newt wins in South Carolina, throwing the race into turmoil... and , of course, there is this, too, to remember:
In 2011, all but four House Republicans and all but five Senate Republicans voted for a very public plan to withdraw the Medicare guarantee from Americans younger than age 55.
The Paul Ryan plan would instead offer future retirees support to buy a private insurance plan—with the amount of the support rising at the rate of general inflation. If health care costs continue to rise during the next three decades at the same pace as in the past three decades, then—under this proposal—today’s 30-somethings would receive support sufficient to cover about 25 percent of their Medicare costs, leaving them to find the other 75 percent themselves.
The money saved would be applied to balance the budget and finance a big tax cut, reducing the top income-tax rate to 28 percent from the otherwise scheduled 39.6 percent.

Conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer at the time expressed worry that the Ryan plan might prove a “suicide note.”

I shall certainly remember. There has been something altogether unreal about Republicans since 2000. They inhabit a dream world of their own making, and think that they can control the mental midgets of various stripes whose only politics is hatred and resentment.  What possible insanity led them to formulate their own demise as they already have?

In another Frum article today:
George Romney, then Governor of Michigan, explaining his refusal to endorse Barry Goldwater in 1964:
Dogmatic ideological parties tend to splinter the political and social fabric of a nation, lead to governmental crises and deadlocks, and stymie the compromises so often necessary to preserve freedom and achieve progress.
 I sincerely look forward to the end of the Republican-Tea Party monstrosity, and hope to see the Republican Party that George (Mitt's father) Romney envisaged take its place.

No comments: