Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Comment Verification

I am thinking of turning off the Comment section verification business: that extra bit that is supposed to prove that one is not a robot and that we do not, after all, live in a computer simulation, or whatnot.

I can barely read the things. I mean, what's the point of trying to write a comment that approaches "intelligent sounding" and then have the whole thing go to a data sink somewhere, because one cannot make out the letters-run-together or the numbers-fuzzy-and-dim?
--

5 comments:

AD said...

Beware, beware. You might have to fend off dozens of spam-posters every day...

Montag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montag said...

I know, and if it weren't for spam most of the time, there would be hardly any comments. It can be so-o-o difficult sometimes....

Then when I am hurried, I can no longer distinguish between an icon of a pencil (meaning "edit")which reminds me of writing a comment, an envelope (meaning "email")which reminds me of sending a comment, and the word "comments" itself which merely strikes me as a listing of such things, and not an entry way into comment-hood.

I have to make sure that I copy my comment - if it is a bit long - so when everything gets messed up, I may merely paste it again.

Unknown said...

I don't think there's a way around it, my friend. But I'm just like you: I find the verifications just about impossible to read sometimes. Makes you really hate the jerks that put us through this annoyance.

Montag said...

You sound like Mr. Obama: "Bloggers have every right to defend themselves!"