Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

God vs. Atheism

Mr. Dawkins

I was looking at a book by Richard Dawkins. When I was younger, I would either (1) wish to read it to effectively refute the nonsense of religion, or (2) wish to read it to refute its own atheistic nonsense. I have flown the flags of many philosophies. But yesterday I just held it in my hand, looked at it, and felt quite sure it had nothing particularly fascinating in it one way or the other. It's time for me to write my own book.

I might emphasize the power of the Holy. I just might.

So if I were to write such a book, would God pull ahead in the race with Atheism? Would God throw a Hail-Mary pass into the end zone and suddenly win the contest? Would God's team sink a three-pointer at the buzzer?
I think that since so many, many people think of God as a way to Power and Persuasion over the obdurate "real world", more people would like my book than not like it. Sadly enough, the Holy Rollers (my team) would steamroller over the Blasphemous Bandicoots (Dawkin's team) mainly because readers believe in magic: they want things from God, they want to change the world and - having done that - take a rest and maybe tidy up their own lives at their own pace.

In fact, for a certain period of time, it will appear as if everybody loses.

--

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I'll read it. Write it!

Montag said...

You know I've been dogging it and dragging my feet. It should have been done by now.