Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Life As Larry David





Last night we had gone to see The Florida Project and went to a diner afterwards.
I thought it was to be an escape. I actually had seen a movie in which I liked Willem Dafoe, but the film's main child actor had sort of overwhelmed that good feeling and made me miserable with her astounding ability to enchant the director, editor, writer, producer.
I liked the film overall. Sean Baker was the director, editor, writer, producer, and I think he was also Best Boy... possibly the Second Gaffer. I think he should have had some other independent intelligent entity do the editing, because there was a bit too much, even at merely 1 hour, 51 minutes.

Lots of kid shots: running, jumping, spitting, starting fires in abandoned houses (!?). Their high jinks span the moral spectrum. That is what the movie is about, however; sort of Love In The Time Of Cholera... and the time of cholera is us, now.
I could not help thinking of To Kill A Mockingbird, another film centered around children's lives. Some things have changed for the better and some for the worse. 

(I recently read an article questioning why we still have children read Mockingbird in school. One point of discussion was that there were no strong black women in it. Calpurnia, Atticus Finch's housekeeper, was some glorified maid... and not so "glorified, come to think of it.
Clearly the author of that article does not remember the scene in which Walter Cunningham joins Jem and Scout for breakfast and then pours lots of syrup all over his food. When Scout starts to criticize this, Calpurnia quickly restores the moral order of hospitality. She maintains order all summer day long when school is out and the children feast in summer vacation's freedom and anarchy.
The gun of politically-correct correction should be aimed properly, lest one shot oneself in one's foot.)

We had gone to the movie with another couple. The guy bought a coffee before he went into the theater. Not popcorn; a coffee.
Then like 20 minutes into the movie, he had to go get another coffee.

Afterwards we went to a bistro that was packed for some reason on a Monday night. Lots of older people, too. We discovered it was Half-Price Burger Day. The burgers were of a quality that is mostly described as "half-price", and I had the worst martini I ever tasted.
Nobody wanted dessert or coffee when the remnants of that cuisine of the living dead was cleared from the table. Nobody except me, that is. I usually only eat one  large meal a day, so I am hungry at the dinner time and I can take the extra calories.
But nobody else wanted dessert and coffee.



So I decided to pull a Larry David, just as if I inhabited the fantasy Los Angeles of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and accused my friend of not wanting to spend time sitting there while I ate my customary dessert and had my usual coffee, and that is why he had bought that "Pre-Emptive Coffee" at the theater! He tried to forestall and negate my after-dinner coffee!

Talking about it later, he did not seem to share the fantasy and said that he had valid philanthropic reasons for no dessert, no coffee, all of which trumped my selfish needs. He added that coffee after 8:00 PM was problematic.

Again, what would Larry David do?
So I said, "What !? No coffee after 8:00 PM !? I didn't know there was a 'Coffee Cut-Off' ! "

--

No comments: