Search This Blog

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Ben Carson "Supports" Me: 2016



Actually, a Dr. Carson bumper sticker supports my coffee cup when I visit my mother. She asked me once if I wanted it, and I said that, thanks, I could use a coaster right then, and I've used it ever since.

So, Dr. Carson compared the USA to Nazi Germany once, and he doubled down recently. Wolf Blitzer asked him if he was serious in his parallel:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/12/03/ben-carson-to-wolf-blitzer-i-stand-by-my-nazi-germany-u-s-comments/
“But to make the comparison, Dr. Carson, to Nazi Germany, the slaughter of six million Jews by the Nazis, the devastation that erupted in Europe and around the world, to the United States of America,” said Blitzer. “I want you to reflect on what that potentially means.”

Complying with Blitzer’s polite request, Carson explained: “Again, you are just focusing on the words ‘Nazi Germany’ and completely missing the point … and that’s the problem right now. That’s what PCism is all about. You may not say this word, regardless of what your point is. Because if you say that word, I go into a tizzy. We can do better than that.
When I was a child, and when you were a child, they used to say, ‘Sticks and stones break my bones, words will never hurt me.’ What ever happened to that? We need to get to the point where we can look beyond the word and look for the meaning.”

I could have been sure that Blitzer was trying to explicate the meaning of "Nazi Germany" when he spoke of the slaughter of 6 million and World War II. Apparently Dr. Carson has his own, private meaning in his own, private language.

Calling somebody "Hitler" is a bit like "Sticks and stones..."
However, from this I gather that Dr. Carson is saying that calling somebody or something "Nazi Germany" is a bit like pulling pigtails and having an food fight, and the real meaning is not in the words Dr. Carson is using, but somewhere else... but it unfortunately has not left a forwarding address.

We should ask Bill O'Reilly whether Dr. Carson is smart enough to know what he is talking about.


He still does a good jump protecting tables from coffee cups.

--

No comments: