Search This Blog

Friday, March 01, 2013

My Country, Les Miz, Hot Nuts

Les Miserables


There is a special tonight on Les Miserables and I heard it playing on the TV in the background... and it was the very beginning of the special....

... and I think it was the opening number from the film - possibly from the play, too - where Jean Valjean is laboring in the drydocks, heaving on the lines, winching a sailing vessel into the docks.

And there was an absolutely horrible, horrible realization that swept over me;
I had a very odd feeling of deja vu when I saw the film, but it passed. Tonight it hit me like a ton of bricks:

the opening number of Les Miserables is the exact same tune as an ancient Hot Nuts ( ! don't ask ! ) number that started "My country.... 'tis of thee." and may be called My Country 'Tis of Thee.... or The Soldier's Song.... or something.......

And you do not know who these Hots Nuts gentlemen are, so do not look it up. I am so embarrassed!
They often formed the background chorus of beer drinking and "things" at the Sudbury House almost fifty years ago off campus...

Lord, have mercy!

The Hot Nuts
--

No comments: