Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

LeVar Burton Calls Out Tarantino

LeVar Burton



Huffington
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/15/levar-burton-roots-remake-bullshit-tarantino-comment_n_4281879.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

[...]

The award-winning producer-actor [LeVar Burton] also responded to “Django Unchained” director, Quentin Tarantino, who deemed the 1977 miniseries [Roots] as “inauthentic” in its storytelling.

“Django Unchained is a fantasy, let’s be clear,” Burton declared. “And when Quentin Tarantino says that Django is more real than Roots, I call bullshit. I got nothing against him, but don’t go there, okay? Don’t go there, Quentin.”

“Too many people who look like me bled and died for you to have the opportunity to satirize the slave narrative. There’s a place for satire in culture. Taken at face value, as a piece of satire, I went and enjoyed it. It was fun. Let’s just not get it twisted. Django was not real.” ...

I do not care whom I offend here:  Django Unchained - aside from the work of Cristoph Waltz and the rider sequence with Jonah Hill - was one of the worst films I have ever seen.Calling it "fantasy" is high praise compared to what I would call it.
Even now I cringe when I see Jamie Foxx. There is some series of commercials on Sundance with him and Ron Howard, and I get a sinking feeling when I see him.

By the end, I was amazed and speechless at the lurching grotesque pretense that the film had become, and that such a film was the recipient of critical praise... nonsense and trash considered as one of the fine arts.

During the entire last part of the film I was singing to myself, and the song that came out on top of that competition with the film was DMX:
Stop, drop, shut 'em down open up shop,
Oh, no,
that's how Ruff Ryders roll;
and I ended up humming the verses and saying "What!" like the back-up crew does,

like
one-two-three-four-five   "What!"
one-two-three-four-five   "What!"
and then I felt like that old white guy that was re-born Chris Rock in Down To Earth, and then it was sort of fun whether I or the film made less sense.
--

No comments: